Re: [circle] circle web search wishlist (long)

From: Oskar Kosciusko
Subject: Re: [circle] circle web search wishlist (long)
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:18:35 +0200

In a word, yes. We let one entity own the signposts and everyone is lost.

Nodes should crawl the web, as I don't want the user influencing their own
crawler or indexer. Otherwise it's all too easy to inject fraudulent data.
Remember that once people start trusting a system, influencing that system
becomes profitable, i.e. AdWords. And anyway -- would you really want to
publish *your* browser cache?

I agree that users should be able to opt in or out of services, and separate
circles might even make routing easier. If I knew a damn thing about python I'd
volunteer to help with that. :)

A question -- what exactly determines where a node ends up on the circle? is it
just a random number that a hacked client could fake, or is it tied to
something harder to mess with? What would happen to two nodes with exactly the
same hash key?

oskar