[circle] Hosts do not find each other

From: Asheesh Laroia
Subject: [circle] Hosts do not find each other
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:37:53 -0400 (EDT)

I am running The Circle on a private network.  These machines cannot
connect to the primary Circle network.

(I have tried these procedures on both Linux (Debian) and Windows (XP)
machines, and with both the latest release (0.35) and today's CVS.)

So, I started The Circle on one computer, and it waited a minute or so,
and I started it on a second workstation.  I inputted the IP into the
manual connect dialog, but neither computer's Circle program noticed.  I
did "Browse current peers" and it apologizes for not finding anyone.

I've tried leaving the hosts up for a while, but they still don't find
each other.  I did also try adding the IP of MachineOne to the settings.py
list of hosts to try at first; MachineTwo still can't find MachineOne on
startup, nor on manually adding it through the GUI.

I do have a lot of Python experience and a little network experience (all
ad-hoc stuff I've picked up myself, granted).  I noticed the use of
127.0.0.1 as a fallback in node.py, and I'm a little worried that causes
the Circle to bind only to the local loopback address.  Then again, I'm
sure there's some reasonable explanation for it.

So, I can't get the Circle to work in this private network.  I would
*very* much like to use it, and I'm sure the hundreds of people here could
provide interesting data for your debugging purposes. :-)

Sincerely,

Asheesh Laroia.

--
The notion of a "record" is an obsolete remnant of the days of the
80-column card.