Re: [circle] Many notes on my Circle experience

From: Jiri Baum
Subject: Re: [circle] Many notes on my Circle experience
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:52:53 +1000

Asheesh:
> What would be the easiest way for clients to determine the size in
> files of the network, if we can assume that never will more than 400
> people be connected?

Easiest formula:

     number of files I'm responsible for
  fraction of hashtable I'm responsible for

Not the most accurate number, but should be a reasonable guess, it's
easy to calculate, and works regardless of the number of peers.

> And can file hashing be serialized or saved SOMEHOW between starts of
> the program?  Perhaps based on a combination of file size,
> modified-time, and name.  We are unlikely to have people TRY to defeat
> this in our network, and we could have random file rehashing perhaps.

Anyone who tries to defeat things could just wait until the hashing ends
and defeat it then, anyway - nothing new here.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <address@hidden>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools