[circle] circle future?

From: Jiri Baum
Subject: [circle] circle future?
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:26:23 +1000

Hello,

one of the initial promises of circle was "no control points" - the lack
of a central server on which pressure could be exerted to influence or
shut down the network. Given the recent tactics of the RIAA, however,
this seems much less relevant than it did only a few months ago.

What is the future of circle, then?

Of course, it can continue as a chat application for the half-dozen
people using it, but we're already all on goofey anyway.

One possibility would be to re-package it as a generic service discovery
solution; this would mean making it easier to use for 3rd-party servers
and clients, and probably interfacing it to a few. For instance, various
games might benefit from this; and circle would benefit from whatever
exposure that would entail.

Of course, given how full my timetable is already, I'm unlikely to
implement this myself, so I can't complain if it doesn't happen :-)

Another possibility would be to add anonymity; but freenet already does
that, it would entail a profound re-think of the algorithms (to the
point that it wouldn't be circle any more), and some of us may be
uncomfortable with full anonymity anyway.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <address@hidden>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools