Re: [circle] circle future?

From: Jiri Baum
Subject: Re: [circle] circle future?
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:46:35 +1100

Jiri:
> > Note, however, that once this policy is turned on, there's no real
> > point advertising the files in the hashtable. You might as well just
> > advertise them to the friends you've got.

thomasV1:
> yes there is! advertising files in the hashtable is a method to make
> new friends, worldwide :-)

Ah; however, if you wanted to use this feature to try and make it
"almost legal", you'd have to restrict it to pre-existing circles of
friends.

Which wouldn't matter as a practical matter, because the way you find
out about new music is when friends turn you on to it; but would make
for a completely different style of p2p software. To the extent that it
shouldn't be an option (paranoid vs normal), but a completely separate
feature, complete with its own published directory - so that some dirs
you'd make public, others only accessible to friends.

I still have no idea what "almost legal" would buy you. Wouldn't that be
like getting a 17yo a little bit pregnant?[1]

Jiri
[1] Presumably that'd involve an atom of radium, an artificial
insemination kit and Wigner's (female) friend...
--
Jiri Baum <address@hidden>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools