Re: [circle] about separation between gui and core

From: darkblood
Subject: Re: [circle] about separation between gui and core
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:43:17 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The next big thing that is going to happen to Circle
> is likely to be the separation between gui and core.
 [Snip!]

The amazing re-factoring is on again??  Excellent!!

> I have my own ideas on how to achieve this.
     [Snip!]
> This separation can be achieved by using two separate
> processes that communicate through a socket (edonkey
> does that). Another solution, pointed by rodrigo, is to have
> one single process that would raise a gui window when needed,
> and that would stay in the background after that window is closed.
> This latter solution might be more efficient.

The efficiency gain of the latter approach should be balanced against a
real advantage of the first approach.  It is quite concievable that you
could leave the core running (say at school) than go to a remote location
(at home) and connect to the running instance...  It would also allow
people to easily access circle from other legacy applications.  Before
suggesting that one could just import the circle classes into the
legacy app, please note that not all the tools that could benifit from
circle integration are written in python.  (I know that the preceeding
heretical statement will come as a shock to some people here, but it is
true.)

-- Pierre