Re: [circle] p2p auctions

From: thomasV
Subject: Re: [circle] p2p auctions
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:56:12 +0200

Paul Campbell wrote:

Any user with basically no trust links and no other activity is blatantly
a fake. It is still possible that someone could start out by creating numerous
aliases, and send various minor transactions between those same aliases, and
then eventually lead them up to building a web of trust that has no outside
branches (making the fake identity(s) look very good), and then repeatedly
screw numerous people before being caught. But this exact same behavior
actually happens now on eBay so it would be no better.
My point is precisely that it would even be worse.
On eBay, if you want to build yourself a fake reputation,
you still need to perform a number of transactions between
yourself and your fake identities. These transactions come
at a cost, because you must pay ebay fees on them. On
eBay, you typically do not want to trust somebody who only
has small amount transactions in his record. (I know what I
am talking about. I have been a victim of such a a scam,
where the seller had such a profile).

If we remove those fees (which is the goal), then anyone
will be able to create himself a fake reputation, at no cost.
These fake identities would be impossible to detect.

If you have a way to counter that, I am buying it.

Circle already has public keys so it's a simple matter to go to the next step
of creating signatures.

Actually, Circle already has signatures.
Gossip and chat messages are signed.

Thomas