Re: [circle] Voting on p2p

From: Jiri Baum
Subject: Re: [circle] Voting on p2p
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:48:02 +1000

> > How to find good stuff (nice music) on a p2p file-sharing network.

Paul Campbell:
> Even with voting, there's always questions...

> Popularity sometimes helps. What also helps immensely, especially for video
> files and applications, is to list ALL of the filenames on the file. That
> way often one or two users tags it with something like "blah blah
> blah--FAKE!" which may be a clue (although a minimal one) that the file is
> junk.

Well, voting is just an extension of this. Instead of going by people's names
of the files, you might have an explicit "10% people thought this song was
good, 80% thought it was bad, 10% thought it was terrible/junk".

Better still, it might say "of the people who tend to agree with you on these
ratings, 10% ranked it above songs you rank excellent,  80% above songs you
rank good". At that point, even if you've never heard of the artist before,
you know there's a good chance you'll like the song.

Once you have that, you can ask the software to find songs that are high
according to those ratings and play them automatically.

> But what seems to do the best overall is the various VERIFIED file sites.

It's not so much technical verification that the file is what it says it is,
but rather judgning which songs are good and which songs are bad.

Basically, the thought behind it is the whole ARIA / RIAA debate. They are
claiming they're being destroyed; well, is that a good thing or a bad thing?
What do they provide to society?

One of the services they provide to society is the selection of music -
filtering who can sing and who can't. One can discuss the quality and
integrity of their selection process, but the fact remains that if we want to
supplant them, we have to provide some replacement for this.

> Under circle, verified file sites would be pretty simple to set up using
> the existing message posting systems anyways. It amounts to what becomes a
> sort of distributed web site.

Yeah, the voting would be implemented using either the message posting system,
or the file-sharing one. It's just a question of writing (a) a user interface
and (b) an algorithm for calculating the final score of a song.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <address@hidden>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools