[circle] having trouble getting data from one circle instance to another

From: malcolm handley
Subject: [circle] having trouble getting data from one circle instance to another
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:13:12 -0700

A friend and I have been writing an app on top of freenet for about two years and finally gave up waiting for it to work properly, went looking for alternatives and found the circle. So far we have been amazed at how easy it has been to get things working.

We are running The Circle on two computers. Each one is publishing a few files. When we search for the files using the web interface at http://thecircle.org.au/request.html we are able to find the files but can't download them, obviously. When we search for other files (not the ones that we are publishing) from our nodes, everything works fine. We find matches and we can download them. (This so great, BTW, and puts The Circle way ahead of most programs that we have tried.)

However, searching for our files from our own nodes works less well. If we search on one of our computers for a file published by the other one the search hangs before printing out any matches (our file is the only match that we should get anyway). This happens with both the web interface and the command line search ("circle search ..."). If we search for the file on the node that is publishing it then we get normal results. So, Strange Thing 1 is that the public web page for searching works find and finds our file, while our own searches do not work.

Strange Thing 2 is that when I modified the loop in search_task in daemon.py that prints out matches to print the address of the machine (tiem[0]) that has the match I got 127.0.0.1 as the host for the files that I am publishing. This search was done on the machine that is publishing the file since my searches for remote files never complete, so I for all I know this might be normal behavior for files that are published locally.

I should note that both computers are behind a NAT box. One has a dynamic address and one has a static (thought still NATed) address. Both ask for a proxy to ssh to when we start the daemon and we get both of them to use the static one as a proxy. This may sound stupid, but we have enabled port forwarding on the NAT box for UDP and TCP ports in the range 29610 to 29620 to the box with the static address.

It is possible that The Circle is not figuring out the non-NATed address of the machine with the static address? Even if I give The Circle the public name of the proxy things don't work any better, though. Finally, I tried changing the line in proxy.py where the address is set to 127.0.0.1 to use the public IP address of my proxy server. This got my searches for locally published files to show the correct address but did not get searches for remote files that my nodes published to work.

Am I crazy? I don't know the code at all so I my attempts are probably way off. Maybe proxies have nothing to do with the problem. Any suggestions?