[circle] A question about The Circle's preferred gui

From: Adon Metcalfe
Subject: [circle] A question about The Circle's preferred gui
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:32:46 +0800

This is meant to be kind of like a poll. Currently the gui for The Circle is undergoing some changes. At the moment we have the pygtk gui which is nice, but crashes a fari bit.

Then we have the 2 new gui's I'm trying to pull together with my nil knowledge of programming anything but C (I done some document processing, and some ascii mazes and other totally random useless stuff, except for the prime number generator I made in the beginning), and having never done gui's before (python seems really hard after C, maybe coz I sick at english (its the only language I know)) The first one is in wxpython designed (at the moment) entirely in wxglade and the other bits will be done in Stani's Python Editor. The cvs is kinda out of date, last night I stayed up till around 2 in the am working on wxpython stuff, but then it broke, so I won't upload it till I get it working. I also bought a python cookbook yesterday, and am gonna be distracted by it for a bit. The other option for a gui is the XUL interface with _javascript_ actions. I don't really like java, so i think I will try and merge python in there somewhere, but I'm still in the dark how it works. The really cool thing about XUL is it runs in your awesomely cool gecko browser (mozilla/firefox), and can be viewed in the sidebar, the main window, or as a separate windows. Firefox was written entirely in it, so theoretically anything firefox can do I can do...

So now we have three options, and I need some direction as to which to put the most effort into.

1.   The pygtk gui - the original, and only one that works at the moment
2.   The wxpython gui - my first idea, and most likely a bit faster than pygtk on windows (I don't know though, coz I don't use windows).
3.   The XUL gui - The next idea I had, that sprung into my head just so I could appear fickle, though it could be really cool, because usually filesharing is tightly linked into browsing the web.

As well as that I'd like to know wether The Circle's gui should support other filesharing daemons (e.g. MLDonkey, giFT. opennap, etc, etc) as the current pygtk one is by far the coolest linux filesharing gui out there. (on windows its outperformed by shareaza)

well now that I finished my rant about my dilemma, I expect all of you to come up with some grand scheme that outperforms anything I've said (coz my head hurts, and I think that The Circle should focus on innovation as well as developing and using new technologies)

Don't forget, The Circle's motto is to "Take Over THe World", in a completely filesharing sense, as we have to provide whats easiest/best for most users to attract them to The Circle. Due to this I refuse to work on a command line interface, the commands you can pass on are perfectly fine.