[circle] IO error when starting text interface

From: malcolm handley
Subject: [circle] IO error when starting text interface
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:28:29 -0700

Based on Thomas' indication that the command line mode is less stable than the other interfaces I decided to try the text interface. Here is a log of my attempt:

grumpy:~/Projects/circle/Circle-0.40e malcolm$ python circle start
Making sure daemon is not already running...
 Circle daemon started.
grumpy:~/Projects/circle/Circle-0.40e malcolm$ python circle text
Some random data is needed to generate a cryptographic identity for you. Please bang on the keyboard like a monkey.Traceback (most recent call last): File "/Users/malcolm/Projects/circle/Circle-0.40e/circlelib/utility.py", line 728, in run
    apply(self.function,(self.manager,) + self.parameters)
File "/Users/malcolm/Projects/circle/Circle-0.40e/circlelib/daemon.py", line 288, in text_task
    self.interface.run_main()
File "/home/voegtlin/circle/circlelib/ui_text/circle_text.py", line 250, in run_main File "/Users/malcolm/Projects/circle/Circle-0.40e/circlelib/name_server.py", line 477, in __init__ self.key = crypto.RSA.deconstruct(crypto.RSA.generate(1024,random.randfunc)) File "/Users/malcolm/Projects/circle/Circle-0.40e/circlelib/crypto/RSA.py", line 33, in generate
    rand_str = randfunc(pstr_wanted_len + qstr_wanted_len)
File "/home/voegtlin/circle/circlelib/ui_text/circle_text.py", line 145, in randfunc
OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Although python does not show the line htat caused the IO error, line 145 of circle_text.py is this:
            os.read(0,1)

Looking at the stack trace gives me the impression that this code is being run from the daemon and thus does not have stdin our stdout. Certainly, the branch of the daemon that lead to this call seems to have read its command from a non-stdin socket, which implies (to me, at least) that this is process really is the daemon. OTOH, the text about needing random data (which was written to stdout) did come through, so the process seems to at least have stdout.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I confused?