Re: [circle] short technical questions about Circle, and info about win3

From: thomasV
Subject: Re: [circle] short technical questions about Circle, and info about win32
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:41:26 +0200

Hi ,here is my quick answer:

Philippe Froidevaux wrote:

Hi Circle's Developpers,

I have some basic question about Circle.

Network:
- does Circle work behind a NAT ?

yes, at least on linux

- does Circle work behind a firewall ? Some p2p apps are able to choose a remote node as front-end and so work across a firewall.

yes

- does Circle manage nodes localisation ? I mean, if a set of node hold an information, the application will get it from the node closest to me.

I do not understand what you mean by that...
does your question refer to the DHT queries,
or to the process of downloading a file?

P2P:
- does Circle manage DHT replications, in the way of Pastry and Past ?

I do not know either.
I mean, I know very well what circle does, but
I do not understand your terminology.

And a short information : you say somewhere on the Circle web page that Circle should work on MS-Windows. It doesn't, because you are using GTK, and GTK is not implemented on Win32.

well, I say on the web that it works for some people,
because that is the case.

Here is the link to GTK that I put on the homepage:
http://www.dropline.net/gtk/download.php
did you try to install it, along with pygtk?

C:\Documents and Settings\froidevp\Desktop>c:\Python23\python.exe Circle-0.41c.pyw
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "circle", line 133, in ?
   daemon.Circle_daemon().run('no-fork\n')
 File "c:\temp\tmpm5yahv\circlelib\daemon.py", line 210, in run
   from ui_gtk import circle_gtk
 File "c:\temp\tmpm5yahv\circlelib\ui_gtk\circle_gtk.py", line 20, in ?
   import gtk
ImportError: No module named gtk

There is some GTK port for win32, download here : http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html. But there is no Python modules. A better choice would be to use wxWindows (and thus wxPython), a stable and powerfull GUI. Bittorrent use wxPython, for example.

regards,
Philippe.