[circle] GPL Violatin - no I wont

From: David Irvine
Subject: [circle] GPL Violatin - no I wont
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 01:48:40 +0000

Hi

I am a developer and starting a project in python. I have been toying with this idea for years and now I am going ahead with it - yea boring blah blah.

The crux of the matter is I have been looking for a file distribution mechanism which

1: Everyone is a p2p client or server (attached direct or through a firewall), whatever that's called leaf node or whatever. Basically if your directly connected I want others behind firewall to connect through you or vice versa.
2: Clients have to put aside a certain amount of space for sharing (pre agreed based on algorithm)
3: Everything is anonymous - or at least mostly !!
4: all clients should maintain a hash of files and check this frequently and forget files that don't match (screwed files)
5: Clients should rate themselves based on their connection time 0 - 100% connected and running (bad to very good and also direct connect or behind firewall etc.)

My system is to be open source (not sure bsd or gpl - that's another mail and argument), but initially it will be distributed for a token amount £3 with £1 to open source £1 to me and £1 to charity. All 3rd world and charities will not pay. After I have paid my debts and made a small profit (to allow me to live for a bit longer) then the system will change license. This deal will be incorporated in the initial commercial license (please don't hate me for this) I am trying to challenge the completely open source or closed (I am writing in python so it wont really be closed source anyhow :-))

My questions therefor are

a: What parts above are there already
b: Is this a decent base to work from (it must be apple, windows and especially Linux capable), I was looking at wxWindows rather than GTK though - open to comment on this.
c: Can I use this as part of another system in the way I mentioned (initially commercial). I probably wont directly alter the base of this code in a non gpl way I think. My intention would be joint the group and probably get laughed at with some of my code but at least I would participate. (I am trying to get investment or some way of getting cash in just now). My system can run alongside this one and if I need major changes I could have a distribution system separate from mine and keep; the distribution system separate and gpl at a push,  even if I forked this and kept it that way (no threat to you there though).

So I am trying to understand just the feelings of the group on this. I am fairly direct so please don't hold back if you think there's an issue.

If this works it may make a good story (assuming my system is any use which I really think it will be) and of course it would make sense that if I sold some this project with other good python stuff get the £1 per sale (python, twisted etc. all seem good suggestion) who knows I may even be able to pay those guys in uganda as requested by the best editor in the worlds creator :->

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments

David Irvine
PS My emails are usually no more than 3 lines long