Re: vm/reference classes licensed under LGPL

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: vm/reference classes licensed under LGPL
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:57:17 +0000

>>> Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> 10-Jan-01 12:46:54 PM >>>

>The classes in vm/reference all seem to be licensed
>under the LGPL. Is this right? This would mean that I
>cannot share these implementations with e.g. libgcj
>since they don't accept LGPLed code :(

 don't believe that is a correct assumption.

The vm/reference classes are a reference implementation of how to
integrate Classpath with VMs.

[The reference is of course Japhar; when there are more VM
implementations it would make sense to rename the reference classes to
what they actually are: vm/japhar]

Anyway... you can steal bits of the code from vm/reference for your
own vm integration project as long as you don't downgrade the
"GPL-ness" of the licence
(this is a function of the LGPL).

So utitlising code from vm/reference in the "GPL-with-exceptions"
licence of gcj I think would be okay.

Nic