Re: GTK peers (-Dsomething.for.toolkit ?) (dynamic linking)

From: John Leuner
Subject: Re: GTK peers (-Dsomething.for.toolkit ?) (dynamic linking)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 23:32:16 +0000

> > > My question is about the GTK peers. I have managed to generate the header
> > > files for each .c files, and can run up to the point where an GTK frame
> > > is created with a title. (Mouse events also seem to be handled)
> >
> > It's not at all interesting, but I have a screenshot here:
> >
> > http://kissme.sourceforge.net/gtkshot.jpg
> >
> > John
>
> You should be able to finish up the peers by simply combining them
> with a 1.1 JDK.  There is a specific Java property you can pass with a
> -D argument... but I don't know it off hand.  This should let you
> actually run a good deal of AWT code using those peers.  Knowing the
> peers are working properly before dealing with the Java code would
> probably help you a great deal.

It's a pity you don't know what it is. I looked through the old classpath
mailing list archive but didn't find anything.

On another note, I would like to dynamically link the gtk code into my JVM, but
I can't do this because of the way the JNI method names are formed.

My code just substitutes _ for . and hopes for the best, but there seem to be
more things to take into account. Any idea where I can get code to do that?
Does gcj have such code, Japhar?

(As an example,

Java_gnu_java_awt_peer_gtk_GtkComponentPeer_setVisible

is obvious, but

Java_gnu_java_awt_peer_gtk_GtkComponentPeer_set__Ljava_lang_String_2I

is not.

)

John Leuner