Re: java.awt status LGPL -> GPL?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: java.awt status LGPL -> GPL?
Date: 30 Oct 2001 12:12:39 -0700

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian Jones <address@hidden> writes:

Brian> For one, can you execute a proprietary Java GUI application
Brian> using a GPL'd AWT?

Richard and Tim Wilkinson say yes, but I don't understand the
reasoning.  If the answer is yes, then how is the GPL different from
the LGPL here?

Brian> Two, I would like to know how this plays with Red Hat's
Brian> embedded customers of GCJ for instance?  Is it the same there,
Brian> that customers buy a more appropriate license based on
Brian> something similar to the individual contributor agreement with
Brian> the FSF?

The AWT in libgcj is assigned to the FSF.  Red Hat wasn't really
involved in writing it.  The work I did on it was done on my own time
(but using Red Hat equipment -- so it is a bit muddy).

If Richard does intend to license the libgcj AWT under the GPL, then I
guess Red Hat will have to write a new AWT (or work on the Acunia one)
if and when it ever needs one for a customer.  Certainly the LGPL
would be unsuitable for Red Hat's embedded customers, and the GPL
would be unsuitable (imo) for anybody.

Tom