serialVersionUID

From: Giannis Georgalis
Subject: serialVersionUID
Date: 21 Sep 2002 17:14:33 +0300

Hello again from the primary spammer of the GNU classpath list :)

I have one question. Please forgive my ignorance, as I'm new to the
classpath project.

What is serialVersionUID?, what is it used for? (instanceof operator?),
where can I find it's value for a specific class? and should *all* the
api classes have this constant?

Thank you,
Giannis

--
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.