Re: Thoughts on 'reference classes'

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Thoughts on 'reference classes'
Date: 01 Mar 2003 19:48:21 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 03:46, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Brian> Windows POSIX API has both 'int' and 'long' versions of the
> Brian> file I/O functions or I should say 32bit vs 64bit.
>
> I think we were just talking about the file descriptor representation.
> In Windows I think this is a pointer.
>
> The libgcj FileDescriptor is already set up to allow 64-bit file
> contents.  The various methods use `long' arguments for lengths of
> things, e.g.:
>
>   native void setLength (long pos) throws IOException;

But to make it really transparent this method, the platform file
desciptor field and anything else that is dependent on the
representation of the "native" file descriptor should be moved into a
VMFileDescriptor class. Then it can also be used by for by example
IKVM.NET that want to reuse the file descriptor concept of the C#
standard library.

Cheers,

Mark