Re: Class loader optimization patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Class loader optimization patch
Date: 04 Mar 2003 09:27:36 -0700

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian Jones <address@hidden> writes:

Brian> Is Hotspot providing this factor of 10 improvement?  I assume the
Brian> measurement was with the client hotspot.

Some JITs do lazy exception creation.  I believe the idea is: notice
if the exception object is discarded in the catching frame, and, if
so, simply branch there rather than creating the object, filling in
the stack trace, etc.  This only works for things like `throw new Foo()',
but that is a very common case.  I believe ORP does this optimization.

I doubt this is the cause of a factor of 10 improvement.  But it may
still be important.

Tom