RE: New IO Native Provider Interface

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: New IO Native Provider Interface
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:10:02 +0100

Hi,

Great job, this is almost exactly like I envisioned it. A few minor
suggestions:

- FileOutputStream should not request read access, so the modes should
be "w" and "a"
- write(byte[] buf, long offset, long length) should not use longs for
offset and length
- nativeReadByte shouldn't return a long
- I don't think available() should return negative numbers

I'm still in doubt as to whether there should be a VMFileDescriptor. For
now, I actually reimplemented FileDescriptor and because the public
interface is fairly small, I feel this works well and it saves the
overhead of another layer of indirection.

Regards,
Jeroen