Re: RFC: Spin Java petition

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: RFC: Spin Java petition
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:04:41 +0200

On Monday 06 October 2003 18:03, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Chris Gray wrote:
> > I was actually contemplating the idea of an open letter to Arnold
> > Gosling. It wouldn't have looked like this petition though, much more
> > like what Brian is saying. Spinning off Java into a business unit is just
> > irrelevant (isn't that what javasoft.com was supposed to be anyway).
>
> Yep, the future of Sun's business is a matter of discussion for their
> shareholders. Even if Sun rolls over and dies tomorrow, Java as a
> language, set of APIs, and a VM is here to stay with us for a while. In
> any case, Classpath won;t run out of things to implement that soon. ;)

Wll yes, I think that rumours of the Death of Java (and of Sun for that
matter) are somewhat exaggerated, and in the end it'll be film at 11. But the
"should Java be open source" debate precedes the current flap, see e.g.
<http://www.computerworld.com/developmenttopics/development/java/story/0,10801,82157,00.html>.

Maybe the Open Source Java Community (i.e. we) could choose this time to
state what _we_ think are the real issues ...

--
Chris Gray                                /k/ Embedded Java Solutions
Embedded & Mobile Java, OSGi              http://www.kiffer.be/k/