Re: org.omg link on Classpath homepage

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: org.omg link on Classpath homepage
Date: 21 Oct 2003 23:52:28 -0400

Stuart Ballard <address@hidden> writes:

> Brian Jones wrote:
> > Basically they will never be free to modify because the entire point
> > of the OMG standard is these interfaces DO NOT CHANGE or change only
> > as the standard evolves at the whim of the standards body.  The GPL
> > doesn't allow compatibility with licenses that do not permit
> > modification.
>
> Then isn't Classpath violating GNU project policy by advertising
> non-free software on its homepage?

I don't know if the FSF has characterized the OMG license as non-free
yet.  We can't include it but we're certainly free to point people at
it.  It's called 'javartf' and I still have a copy of it if someone
wants it.  I couldn't get into the ftp site just now myself.

Copyright (c) 1999 Object Management Group. Unlimited rights to
duplicate and use this code are hereby granted provided that
this copyright notice is included.

In order to promote interoperability, they specificly do not give the
right to modify the source.  If you want to put something in CVS,
you'll have to rip the interfaces yourself.  I think someone wrote a
javadoc based program to do this for you but I'm still not sure that
is legal.

Like Tom said, jacorb or someone else like that may have the necessary
work already done if they have tried to run with gcj or another free
JVM.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>