Revolution Action (was: Re: [Little Off Topic] Revolution is on ; ))

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Revolution Action (was: Re: [Little Off Topic] Revolution is on ; ))
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:05:00 +0100

Hi Chris,

Chris Gray wrote:
On Saturday 29 November 2003 13:48, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

Why don't you try to make a keynote at the JavaPolis (maybe next year)

in the Open Source hall.

I'd love to. And the topic would be something like
  Java is not a proprietary language: and here's the proof:
  Classpath, IKVM, Jaos, Kaffe, Wonka, ...

However, frankly I suspect that the JavaPolis agenda is set by their sponsors, and that some of these would not want to hear such a talk. So let's by all means propose a paper or two for next year (like I already did this year) _and then_ if it is refused, just convene our own alternative conference at a nearby location.

Speaking of our own tracks, do we have an update on the idea of someone from GUUG's of doing a free software java conference, that popped up after there were several free java related abstract proposals at Linux Kongress?

In the meantime, is there anything planned for FOSDEM? E.g., an open-source Java track? This could be an opportunity the thesis that the future of Java lies with us, not with S*n.

Tromey is doing a talk on gcj. There is an embedded development track [1], that might be a good traget to place accompanying talks about Wonka & other free VMs targetting embedded systems. I haven't been able to figure out how to get a BOF session registered.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://www.fosdem.org/2004/index/dev_room_embedded