Re: Supporting multiple APIs simultaneously

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Supporting multiple APIs simultaneously
Date: 02 Jul 2004 11:54:16 -0600

>>>>> "James" == James Damour <address@hidden> writes:

James> Andrew John Hughes <address@hidden> raised an interesting
James> point.  What set of Java APIs is Classpath targeting?  *Can* it target
James> multiple APIs simultaneously?  How much effort are we willing to expend
James> to support the multiple APIs.

Historically what we've done is just target the latest release from
Sun.  At the moment this still seems like a very good approach, given
our constraints (manpower mostly).

Also, I don't see what making some subset release would buy us.  Why
not just release it all?  Most programs that run in 1.1 will run fine
against the 1.4 library (modulo all the changes Dalibor points out).

As I see it, the difference with 1.5 support is just that there are
major language changes, and the free compilers and runtimes don't
support them yet.  So, in my view, compiler-breaking changes ought to
be done on a branch until the compiler/runtime sides are more ready.

Tom