RE: On Java and open source

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: RE: On Java and open source
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:21:09 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 23:36, David Holmes wrote:
> Sun wasn't "full of praise". OVM was mentioned by Greg Bollella as an
> example of an independent implementation of the RTSJ and how academia was
> looking at issues within the RTSJ. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wasn't there, but I read about this keynote of Gosling in a couple of
places and OVM and the impact it has on research in real time issue was
always mentioned. Lets just say at least I am full of praise :)

Maybe the negative feeling I got from the "Big Debate" was also
amplified by not being there. I guess I always get a bit annoyed when I
hear Gosling ("The Father of the GPL" *) being negative on Free Software
and trying to pass off Sun distributing a proprietary implementation of
java to one distributed under the GPL "just with a different catch".
Instead of promoting sharing and freedom it inhibits sharing and the
freedom of users. That is indeed a different catch...

But maybe all this talk about compatibility will at least lead to the
Kaffe team finally getting access to the TCK on reasonable terms. And
after the release (waiting for some feedback from the Jikes RVM hackers)
we should try to explain the JCP pitfalls again now that there is an
explicit invitation of "joining". I sometimes just need to be convinced
that Sun is sincere in these dialogs.

Cheers,

Mark

*) http://www.free-soft.org/gpl_history/