Re: GNU Classpath and JDK1.0 completeness and compatibility

From: Roman Kennke
Subject: Re: GNU Classpath and JDK1.0 completeness and compatibility
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:53:16 +0200

Am Mo, den 12.07.2004 schrieb Thomas Fitzsimmons um 20:25:
> On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 13:37, Roman Kennke wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > In one of the last threads on this list there was a discussion about
> > which JDK spec GNU Classpath should have as a goal for its 1.0 release.
> > I will not answer it here (altough it seemed that most people see 1.4 as
> > a reasonable goal).
> >
> > To concentrate efforts and to provide a basis for future development I
> > think it is reasonable to start with spec JDK1.0, complete this and then
> > concentrate on 1.1 and so on. Sure, there are some incompatibilities and
> > inconsistencies when going this way, in these cases I propose to make a
> > compromise in favour of the newer spec.
> >
> > I have put together a checklist against JDK 1.0:
> >
> > http://ontographics.com/classpath/status-1.0.html
> >
> > I am starting now to manually audit all classes listed there with the
> > criteria listed on this page in mind. I'll start with documentation,
> > then check for implementations of the specified classes and public
> > methods and then write missing tests and/or fix failing tests. Of course
> > everybody is invited to join these efforts. :)
> >

> This is hugely useful.  Once you're done the AWT audit, I will write
> documentation and tests to fill in the missing bits.

Ok. I'll notify you.

> While the Acunia Visual Test Suite is excellent for testing general
> functionality, it doesn't really test API conformance.  For API-level
> testing, we need a new AWT test suite that contains minimal test cases
> and detailed instructions for how to run each one.  I think we should
> write a test suite like this as part of the JDK 1.0 effort.

This will be the difficult part. I hope we can test lots of
functionality without having something displayed. Hmm.

BTW: I think I have completed the check list and have started to audit
java.lang:
http://ontographics.com/classpath/status-1.0.html

looks very good so far :)

Cheers,