Re: (no subject)

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:23:45 +0200

Chris Pickett wrote:
Valentin Chira wrote:

Hi guys, I wanna try to port a Java VM to BeOS R5 but I have problem finding a VM that is full featured and easy to port. Can you help me with an advice?

Hi Valentin,

Try SableVM, it's highly portable if POSIX libraries are available.

http://www.sablevm.org

You can probably get help on our #sablevm IRC channel as well.

If you've got some time after porting SableVM, check out http://bekaffe.sourceforge.net/ and http://bekaffe.sourceforge.net/screen.html :) ...

As usual, with ports that are not in the Kaffe main tree, it would take a willing BeOS developer to merge things back into the main tree on Kaffe.org [1], but you get the idea.[2]

On a side note, which BeOS are we talking about? BeOS 4/5/Max/*? Zeta? OpenBeOS/Haiku? BlueEyed? There seem to be many, and I've got no real idea what the differences are :(

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] Which is more-featured-then-bekaffe. :) As it has been already ported, it may not be a big deal to get it up and running. I've got some mails from BeKaffe developers that I could forward to you regarding their code layout and getting started, if you are interested. [2] There is always some Kaffe port, almost anywhere you go. Comes with the age, just like the bit rot :)