Re: AWT and Jikes RVM

From: Vasanth Venkatachalam
Subject: Re: AWT and Jikes RVM
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 23:20:15 -0800 (PST)

The problem is that for a simple AWT program that just
displays a frame, the method GetJavaVM( ) gets called somewhere along the
way. This in turn calls the native method CreateJavaVM( ), which raises an
unimplementedNativeMethod exception. I have shown a snippet of the error
at the bottom of this message.

I looked around in the code for CreateJavaVM and found
confusing inconsistencies. Its declared in VM_JNIFunctions.java and
implemented in a file (syswrap.C) which isn't even compiled into
the VM default. There seems to be a typo in the implementation
(non-matching function prototype), and when I forced this file to be
recompiled, I wasn't able to run any programs at all.

I don't see how someone could possibly get AWT working without
addressing this CreateJavaVM problem. I want to know how they got
past this error.

Here again is a snippet of the error message:

 Lcom/ibm/JikesRVM/VM_DynamicLinker; unimplementedNativeMethod()V at
line 41

Lcom/ibm/JikesRVM/jni/VM_JNIFunctions;
GetJavaVM(Lcom/ibm/JikesRVM/jni/VM_JNIEnvironment;Lcom/ibm/JikesRVM/VM_Address;)
at line 5395
   <native frame>
   <native frame>
   Lgnu/java/awt/peer/gtk/GtkMainThread; gtkInit(I)V at line 0
   Lgnu/java/awt/peer/gtk/GtkMainThread; run()V at line 102
   Ljava/lang/Thread; run()V at line 270
   Lcom/ibm/JikesRVM/VM_Thread; startoff()V at line 779
JikesRVM: exit 124