StringBuilder

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: StringBuilder
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:50:56 +0100

Hi,

Attached is an example of how StringBuilder could be made thread safe
and still enable sharing the char[]. Unfortunately it requires
allocating an extra temp object and JIT magic, but maybe someone is
interested in pursuing this (I'm not because I have to special case
StringBuilder in another way).

Note that you could also get rid of the temporary object by using a
String instance for this, but that would require making the value and
count fields of String non-final and this has memory model consequences
as well (thereby making String non-portable).

Regards,
Jeroen