Re: Remediation

From: James Damour
Subject: Re: Remediation
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:34:21 -0500

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:07:42 +0100
> From: Robert Schuster <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Mediation
> To: GNU Classpath <address@hidden>
>
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>
> >Hi Robert,
> >     I like this idea of a mediator/librarian role.  Having a physical human
> >contact for new developers would certainly decrease the learning curve,
> >and help integrate the newcomer into the project.  Also, as you say,
> >there are a lot of things which occur on the mailing lists and in IRC
> >that are not formally noted, with developers instead relying on a kind
> >of secret wisdom.
> >

> >     As to actually implementing this idea within a FOSS project, I suppose
> >it hits the same problems as documentation and such tend to encounter;
> >namely, that the interest in these activities is less than for the art
> >of coding.
> >
> At the beginning it was my personal wish to do that kind of mediation
> (besides programming). The
> idea of the semester thesis evolved later. This means that I have that
> kind of interest on doing a specific kind
> of non-programming task.
>
> >  We have an advantage in GNU Classpath in that developers can
> >only contribute code if they are untainted, so helpful tainted
> >developers can add documentation, tests etc.  But, the proportion of
> >such tasks to code is still pretty low.
> >

> This seems logical but does not work because IMHO tainted developers do
> not automatically
> like to do non-programming stuff.

As a tainted developer who wants to help Classpath, I'd love to get a
definitive answer on what how can and can not contribute.  The last I
heard, the GNU Licensing team was looking at whether I can contribute
tests to Mauve.  If I'm allowed to work on Javadoc documentation, I'd
work on that.  If I could only work on documentation that isn't in the
source code, I'd work on that.  I even have experience in welcoming new
developers to a FLOSS Java project (I'm a project admin for MegaMek:
http://megamek.sf.net).

I'd love to help getting Free Java to a complete state, partly because I
want to use Free Java to compile and run my Java project.  I can't
currently commit to huge items (I only get parts of hours on some
mornings, and I use some of that time to check email) but I am eager to
help and I'd follow anyone's lead.