Re: generics-branch

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: generics-branch
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:52:30 -0500

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:21:39 +0100, Robert Schuster <address@hidden> wrote:
> One could inspect genericism using reflection (e.g.
> Class.getTypeParameters(), Constructor.getGenerictypeParameters()).
>
> I would like to help adding generics support to japitools. Just send me
> mail :-)

Jeroen and I are working on it, slowly, in between other projects. If
you look at design/japi-spec-0.9.6 in japitools CVS
(http://savannah.nongnu.org/project/japitools) we've got an initial
representation for some of the generic information. We still have to
implement support for this new format in Japize and Japicompat. Jeroen
tells me that getting support in Japize will be pretty easy based on
his bytecode reader library. If you're a perl hacker you could take a
look at supporting the new format in japicompat if you like. It'll be
a little complex because for comparison with old versions of APIs you
need to be able to translate between the generic-aware form and the
binary (generic-free) form. Otherwise I promise I'll get to it
eventually - I've been working on another cool Classpath-related
project recently, sorry.

> btw: Why aren't the comparison runs updated any more? (->
> http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/htmlout/h-jdk14-classpath.html)

The comparisons are run nightly, but I pull japi files from external
sources to run them against. Tom Tromey provides the "nightly" japi
files for classpath and libgcj, and apparently his builds have been
failing or something. Dalibor Topic provides the files for Kaffe, but
only when he runs them manually, which is only when people pester him
;)

Stuart.
--
http://sab39.dev.netreach.com/