Re: generics-branch

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: generics-branch
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:51:37 +0000

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 04:21, Stuart Ballard wrote:
> That should be me saying "Doh!". Next time I'll check links when I
> type them from memory, even if I'm sure they're right ;)

Yes, but I should have spotted it, given that I use quite a few Savannah
projects (and run two of my own).

> BTW, the nightly japicompat run including the comparison of
> generics-branch ran just fine (the classpath results are up to date
> and correct again), but Real Work prevented me from finding time to
> add the generics links today. Hopefully Real Work will be a little
> less hectic tomorrow and I can squeeze that in. I'll also try to find
> time to identify the jar file that contains the missing class that
> causes the NPE and regenerate jdk15.japi.gz accordingly...

Yes, I spotted the update yesterday.  Good job :)  The nightly update
here also appears to be running fine, at least for the time being.

> I've started work on getting japicompat to understand the 0.9.7 file
> format in my local copy. So far I've tackled all the trivial
> differences but not started the tricky one - generics themselves -
> which is tough enough to be sapping my motivation...

After finding the Savannah page, I had a look at this and, thanks to Tom
enlightening me on IRC, I can now see why we need the update :).
I suppose you've seen

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/jls-proposed-changes.html
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/2nd-edition/jvms-proposed-changes.html

which detail the language and vm changes respectively.  These don't have
any click-through license, and soon will be copies of published books,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321246780/qid=1106131657/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0387410-0887644

so AFAICS they should be okay to use.

--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint) attachments.

No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

"We've all been part of the biggest beta test the world has ever known --
Windows"
-- Victor Wheatman, Gartner