Using classpath in J2ME apps: changes and licensing

From: Sergey Udaltsov
Subject: Using classpath in J2ME apps: changes and licensing
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 00:34:41 +0100

Hi ppl

As some of you may know, J2ME API is reduced a lot compared to J2SE.
In particular, some very handy classes are missing. I would like to
use BigInteger and StringTokenizer in my open source J2ME app (snmp
client). Unfortunately, the library I took as the basis
(http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/snmp/snmp.html) uses
these classes - they are essential. So my idea is to take some code
from gnu.classpath, modify it (if necessary) and put into gnucp.*
packages (since midlets are not allowed to put staff into java.*
hierarchy).
Original SNMP library goes under some open source licence which looks
like BSD (not sure, sorry). The source files contains these lines:
 * This is free software. Redistribution and use in source and binary
forms, with
 * or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
 * are met:
 *
 *  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this
 *     list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
 *  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
 *     this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
documentation
 *     and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 *  3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
 *     derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
My question is: can I modify this snmp code to use gnucp.* packages -
and still keep it under existing licence?

Any comments would be appreciated,

Sergey

PS I think it may become a standard practice - using pieces of
gnu.classpath for adding features to 'poor' J2ME implementations. So
the licensing issues around it should be put in FAQ/Wiki, probably.