Re: Pacific/Easter TimeZone.java

From: Bastiaan Huisman
Subject: Re: Pacific/Easter TimeZone.java
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:57:39 -0000

>>>>> "Tom" == "Tom Tromey" <address@hidden>

Bastiaan> "Unknown link Link America/Buenos_Aires AGT"
Bastiaan> removing this line from tzabbrevs and the timezone.pl works fine.
Tom > If you want to see why this happens, we'd be grateful.

In the file tzabbrevs the line
"Link America/Buenos_Aires AGT"
should be changed to
"Link America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires AGT"

Like I said only some of the dates and times DST starts and ends in
certain zones, differ between the old and the newly generated
TimeZone.java (like Pacific/Easter). It is very probable that a faulty
tzdata tarball was used to generate the old TimeZone.java. However, I
seem to have found a bug in timezone.pl as well.

At least The America/Santiago, Pacific/Easter and some EU timezones are
wrong IMHO. They end their DST one hour too early in the newly generated
TimeZone.java.

The DST Rule times are defined with respect to UTC in the tzdata
tarball. At least that's how I understand it. Yet they are defined with
respect to wall-time in TimeZone.java. So if in tzdata the DST starts
and ends at the same UTC time, they should start and end one hour
different from each other in TimeZone.java. (In the Netherlands for
instance DST changes at 1:00 UTC, which means that the clock goes
2:00->3:00 at the beginning of DST and 3:00->2:00 at the end. This is
clearly not the case in the new TimeZone.java, where it goes from
2:00->3:00 at the beginning of DST, and goes from 2:00->1:00 at the end)

I believe this actually goes for all DST end-times. So IMHO there are
two things wrong with the old TimeZone.java. First of all the wrong
tzdata was used to generate it. Second of all, timezone.pl ends DST one
hour too early. However, I do not know perl, so I can't fix the bug.

Kind regards,
Bastiaan Huisman