Re: Japitools 1.5 support tough design issue

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: Japitools 1.5 support tough design issue
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:25:49 -0400

I have another question about Java generics behavior and hopefully
people here are expert enough on the subject to be able to answer
it...

Does Java draw any distinction at all between, say, java.util.List and
java.util.List<Object>?

In other words, will there be any difference in bytecode between:
class MyList implements List
and
class MyList implements List<Object>

or between
List list = new ArrayList();
and
List<Object> list = new ArrayList<Object>();

I'm trying to decide whether the APIs I'm constructing ought to allow
any difference between a generic type where none of its type
parameters are supplied at all, and a generic type where its type
parameters are each set to the primary constraining type...

Stuart.
--
http://sab39.dev.netreach.com/