Re: JAWT odds

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: JAWT odds
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:15:24 +0200

Hi Tom,

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 20:50 -0400, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> > It would be nice if the makefile would work without the need to copy the
> > sources
> > over.
>
> Yes, even better would be if the JAWT demo were built automatically
> along with the other examples.  But that requires extra build machinery
> that's not in place yet.

That is the idea. But I didn't want to introduce that extra build
machinery one day before the release. So I choose to make a self
contained example that the user would have to compile/run by hand for
0.18. If someone wants to merge example/Makefile.am with
example/Makefile.jawt.in that would be cool.

> Yes, I'm currently sorting this out for libgcj and java-gcj-compat.  Sun
> puts libjawt.so in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/i386.  To ensure that libjawt.so
> is found automatically, Sun's java executable prepends
> $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/i386 to LD_LIBRARY_PATH then re-exec's itself within
> the new environment.
>
> I've just added a java command to java-gcj-compat that does the same
> thing only exec's gij instead of re-exec'ing itself.

I am not sure I have to be impressed or appalled by this hack :)

Would it by an idea for the runtime (libgcj or some other) to dlopen the
installed jawt library with RTLD_GLOBAL set before opening any other jni
library (or maybe dlopen with the full path to libjawtgnu.so with
RTLD_GLOBAL as soon as dlopen on a jni library fails and then retry
jawt symbols without needing to explicitly opening the shared library
itself.

Cheers,

Mark