Re: gnu.java.nio

From: Meskauskas Audrius
Subject: Re: gnu.java.nio
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 19:30:03 +0200

Craig Combs wrote:

Two questions:
1) If I read this correct the classes in the package will determine the encoding of input and convert it to a specified encoding that I specify without needing to know the orginal encoding of the file? Of course depding that I can find a match and if I can not I assume it throws and exception or defaults to the system encoding.

The FileReader reads using native encoding. If you need to read a file using some other charset, read from

new InputStreamReader(new FileReader(myFile), Charset.forName("my charset") ).

2) can classpath be incldued in a library of application say a search engine without making the search engine GPL. I'm using lucene and would like to keep it under Apache and not GPL. Can some clarify what an independ module a little be more?

When GNU Classpath is used unmodified as the core class library for a program written in the java programming language it does not affect the licensing for distributing this program directly.

See http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html for details.

Regards
Audrius.