Re: JUnit

From: Raif S. Naffah
Subject: Re: JUnit
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 06:13:54 +1100

hello Tom,

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 12:01, Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> I think we ought to change Mauve to use JUnit as well...
>
> Raif> do you see this as a new module under the Mauve CVS, say
> "junit" or a Raif> folder-hierarchy under the current "mauve" module?
>
> I mean simply converting the whole mauve to use junit, preferably all
> at once.  So, no new directory at all.

this sounds like a mammoth task.  wouldn't allowing for a transition
period where the two frameworks --(Mauve) Testlet and (JUnit)
TestCase)-- co-exist has better chances of enlisting contributors?

on a related note, and as an exercise, i tried adapting the TestHarness
and SingleTestHarness to allow running a Testlet as a JUnit TestCase.
this worked but unfortunately, due to the clash between the "fail()"
instance method in Testlet and the same static method in TestCase i was
unable to have both at the same time; i.e. Testlet being run as Mauve
as well as JUnit.  at the end i was not too sure about the value of
achieving this simultaneity.

also, with Mauve we have an easy way for "selecting" the tests --the
"tagging" feature-- do you see dropping this and using instead
hand-crafted TestSuites?

finally, if the decision to move away from Mauve exists, is it worth our
while looking at other frameworks such as TestNG (see
http://testng.org/doc/)?

cheers;
rsn