Re: a crazy idea -- the Book

From: Meskauskas Audrius
Subject: Re: a crazy idea -- the Book
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:38:59 +0100

Great idea, I think! If this idea would move ahead, I am ready to join by writing sections about the javax.swing.text.html.parser, javax.rmi and org.omg. package groups. We maybe can divide chapters. I think, it would be good to have the printed book and not the web site content.

Printing the book would probably require the initial money investment. This probably can be solved at least in the two ways: 1. The FSF pays for printing of this book and then gets the profit from selling it. 2. All authors contribute for printing of this book and then probably share the profit. With the large number of authors, both money contribution and expected profit will probably not be very big anyway.

Scientists and writers print books rather frequently, and also quite often completely on they own initiative. Probably some infrastructure should exist that would make the task not especially complicated, we may just need to find these people, probably in several countries, comparing prices and possibilities.

Audrius.

Raif S. Naffah wrote:

hello all,

with every visit to the bookstore i see new titles about java, swing, etc. most of them being just printed collections of already public APIs.

Classpath is more than just a bunch of APIs, and if there's a book worth reading about Java (and free VMs) it would be about what this project, its team of collaborators and hackers, and user VMs. i'm not talking about people but software: what more, or better, Classpath + friends offer to the Java developers.

has anybody given a thought to the idea of publishing such a book?

cheers;
rsn