CACAO 0.94 released

From: Christian Thalinger
Subject: CACAO 0.94 released
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 02:00:01 +0100

CACAO 0.94 released.

This is a small feature enhancement and bugfix release.  Here is a
short list of the most important changes:

  * support compilation of Interpreter and JIT compiler into one binary (not
    enabled by default)
  * bootstrap ZIP code rewrite (VM startup time improvement)
  * fixed JNI DirectByteBuffer functions, JOGL works now
  * removed most third-party files from the repository, we link to the
    libraries instead
  * removed VM interface Java files which were identical to the GNU
    Classpath upstream version
  * added defineClassWithTransformers to java.lang.VMClassLoader, now we are
    able to build against the generics branch
  * Java compiler which should be used during compilation can be specified
    via JAVAC environment variable
  * a lot of bugfixes

This release supports GNU Classpath 0.19+ and was tested on some
platforms against GNU Classpath 0.20.

With this release we were able for the first time to run most of the
JOGL demos on i386-unknown-linux-gnu and x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
systems.

Supported platforms added with this release:

  * powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu (intrp only)

ATTENTION: The usage of CACAO and GNU Classpath has a bit changed due
to some issues on 64-bit distributions.  The proper ./configure
options are:

  --with-classpath-prefix=<dir>
  --with-classpath-libdir=<dir>

Currently supported JIT compiler architectures are:

  * alpha-unknown-freebsd5.4
  * alpha-unknown-linux-gnu
  * arm-unknown-linux-gnu
  * i386-unknown-freebsd5.3
  * i686-pc-linux-gnu
  * mips-sgi-irix6.5
  * mips-unknown-linux-gnu
  * powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0
  * powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
  * x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Additionally supported Interpreter architectures are:

  * powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu

Information about working applications and some screenshots can be
found on http://www.cacaojvm.org/

Daily test runs with CACAO SVN head, GNU Classpath CVS head and Mauve
CVS head can be found on http://www.cacaojvm.org/tgolem/

A StatCVS report for CACAO's CVS repository (generated on a free Java
stack) can be found on http://www.cacaojvm.org/statcvs/

CACAO 0.94 can be downloaded from
http://www.cacaojvm.org/download/cacao-0.94/

File   : cacao-0.94.tar.gz
md5sum : 9d12ae630773d6c3bb1b4ebd13f90f40
sha1sum: ee6262196675c3aef95d7245fba7e1d4acc39868

Enjoy!

The CACAO Team
address@hidden