classpathx-crypto

Re: [Classpathx-crypto] TestOfSerpent

From: Raif S. Naffah
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-crypto] TestOfSerpent
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:36:49 +1000

Casey Marshall wrote:
Raif S. Naffah wrote:

[...]
since we will be using code from these tools for the test cases, should
we look into re-factoring that code to improve code re-usability across
the library?

It did not even occur to me to use that code; I like this idea, however
--- one could envision a point where writing a full-conformance test for
a particular algorithm would amount to simply including the appropriate
test vectors and pointing the program at them. It seems smarter than
keeping large, static String arrays.

absolutely. Nistxxx tools _emit_ the test vectors, but they also include the code to verify the inverse operation of what they generate.

re-factoring that code and re-using your patterns (from TestOfSerpent) would allow:

a. ending up with new tools (or added functionality to the existing ones) that _read_ the conformance test vectors and verify them, this time instead of _writing_ them out.

b. exposing some methods in these tools, or have'em all use common Helper(s) to do their job and making writing TestOf<block-ciphers> as simple as feeding the test-case a collection of files (or a directory where those files would be found).

does this make sense?

cheers;
rsn