classpathx-crypto

[Classpathx-crypto] Suggestions for README build instructions

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: [Classpathx-crypto] Suggestions for README build instructions
Date: 10 Oct 2002 14:07:00 +0200

Hi,

Maybe this is already documented somewhere but I could not find it in
the README. I would suggest to add the following:

    Building
    --------

    When building from source you need a compiler and runtime for java.
    When using gcj you will need gcj 3.2 or higher. (But note that all
    tests currently fail.) gcj (GNU Compiler for Java) is part of GCC
    (GNU Compiler Collection) and can be found at <http://gcc.gnu.org/>.
    When using gcj you must follow the instructions in gcj/INSTALL.

    [...add some requirements for other java environments and ant plus
    ant build targets...]

Then I would add the following to the gcj/INSTALL file (where it already
says [   TODO   ]:

    To regenerate the different GNU autotools files (aclocal.m4,
    configure, Makefile.in, etc) you need the following versions of the
    GNU autotools:

    - aclocal 1.6, to create the aclocal.m4 file.
    - automake 1.6, to create the various Makefile.in files.
    - autoconf 2.50, to create the configure file.

The top level directory contains Makefile.in configure and configure.in
files. I could not make these work at all but it seems they are not
supported. So it seems a good idea to remove them from the tree.

Just now I see that the README file contains a reference to an INSTALL
file. Is that file just missing?

It seems that with gcj all ciphers fail their self test currently.
What is the experience of others?

Cheers,

Mark