cons-discuss

Re: cons for modular packages

From: Axel Hecht
Subject: Re: cons for modular packages
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 15:04:11 +0100

Steven Knight wrote:

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Axel Hecht wrote:

<..>

2) For building software, that depends on several modules, special
targets would be great. The mozilla build system has something like
this, called modules. The file based approach wouldn't really cut it
here. A big issue is, that people wouldn't want the complete gnome
repository, or mozilla sources, or whatever on their disk, just to find
out how to build the header of one rather good defined module.
Additionally, the module name is not always a file or directory name
(SeaMonkey in case for mozilla, that's not in a single filename)
I think of something like this: you wanna build koffice, so you pull the
main Construct, and build the 'module' (I stick to this term, I know
it's used differently in cons) "KOffice". So Construct would pull the
module list, check the dependencies, pull kdelibs and kdecore and
whatelse, and builds all those in one go. Finally you can go to bed
while doing this stuff, you don't have to start building a package every
20mins. ;-)

There's a proposal on the table for an Alias command that would allow
for expansion of special (non-file) target names to a list of targets.

For mozilla's purposes, would it be sufficient to support Aliases
(special targets) like this only on the command line?  Or is it necessary
to establish large-scale dependencies between special-target subsystems
by specifying them within the config (Conscript) files?

Hi Steven,
having thought on this a bit further, a rather neat way to do this would be

Construct:

# Import/Export stuff would be here

# and then for each component:

Depends $env LayoutSDK,'%src/layout/Conscript';
Depends $env Layout,'%src/layout/Conscript';

and then in layout/Conscript

Alias LayoutSDK,'header1.h','header1.h';
Alias Layout,'layout'; # how to specify liblayout.so cross platform?

Just an idea, map the syntax freely, these are about my first self written Conscripts :-)

Axel