cons-discuss

Re: Are there Windows users of cons?

From: Steven Knight
Subject: Re: Are there Windows users of cons?
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 06:08:46 -0500 (CDT)

> It probably helped that I always provided them with a small example to
> help them reproduce the problem and which they could adapt and add to
> the regression test suite! :-)

Yes, this is a *huge* help.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally won't check in a Cons
change without some sort of test case.  There's no actual policy
enforcing this rule, but it's the way I work, and reflects the priority
I place on backwards-compatibility in a build tool.  YMMV.

The tests or examples don't have to be an actual cons-test script.  The
coding of the test isn't the hard part.  What takes the most time is
simply thinking through how to test a condition effectively, and maybe
creating the right Conscript.  A general description of precisely how to
recreate the problem, or exercise a new feature, is fine.  A tar file
containing a small example is even better.

        --SK