cons-discuss

Re: Performance issues with Cons

From: Warren_Baird
Subject: Re: Performance issues with Cons
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:44:09 -0400

> But you still have to examine each include file to see if it's changed,
> all the way down the tree.  You can avoid checksumming it if the date
> hasn't changed, but even that can be problematic in an NFS environment.

I was looking at scons on the weekend, and they have a flag that tells scons to
cache the dependancy information - one flag tells it to rebuild the cached
dependancy info, and another tells it to just used the cached versions...   I
think that's the kind of thing I'd like - then devs who know they haven't
changed a header since their last build can just used the cached dependancy
data...

Anyone have any idea how hard that would be to implement in cons?

> Cons can avoid re-checksumming the file if the timestamp matches; see
> "Using build signatures to decide when to rebuild files" in the cons
> docs.  Try using
>     SourceSignature '*' => 'stored-content';
> and see if that helps.  (Requires a recent cons version.)

I'll give that a try - I doubt it'll save enough time, though...

> You are using one of the native-code MD5 implementations, right?  The
> perl-based one is dog-slow.

I'm pretty sure I'm using a native-code implementation - it's the Digest::MD5
module off CPAN - it certainly generates and installs an MD5.so - so I'm assume
it's native-code...

Thanks for the information...

Warren