coreutils

Re: How to implement the V comparsion used by sort in python?

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: How to implement the V comparsion used by sort in python?
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 10:47:37 -0600

Hello,

> On Oct 26, 2019, at 5:05 PM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Are you sure they are 100% compatible with V? I don’t want to use them just
> later find they are not 100% compatible.

There are no such guarantees, especially not with free software.

The details I previously sent to you (
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2019-10/msg00002.html ) explain
any differences between “sort -V” and debian’s dpkg/apt algorithm, which is
what the mentioned python package implements.

You’ll have to go some work yourself to determine whether these differences
affect your desired outcome.

regards,
  - Assaf