coreutils

Re: Decimal time support in 'date'

From: za3k
Subject: Re: Decimal time support in 'date'
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 12:54:56 -0800

On 2019-12-17 08:26, Michael Stone wrote:
Honestly, this sounds like something that, if implemented in
coreutils, will leave people years in the future wondering why it was
ever done and trying to figure out how to to paper over some
compatibility issue that it has caused. It would help if the proposal
came with more specific examples, comparisons to other formats showing
its advantages, references to standards that it follows, etc.

There really are no modern-quality standards, which is an argument against. And as a future person of the past myself on occasion, this complaint makes sense--it can be easier to add stuff than remove it from utilities.

ISO 8601-1 allows decimal hours, minutes, and seconds (in timestamps), but not days. However, I sort of suspect (hope) support for decimal hours and minutes will be dropped in another revision.

OK, this is not enough clarity or demand. I think I will maintain a patchset on this one instead of trying to get it merged. Thanks for the input, folks. If a few years from now someone who does scientific work or timekeeping wants this and knows there to be a standard in common use, please feel free to revisit.