coreutils

Re: ls -l --time-style, configure recent interval

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: ls -l --time-style, configure recent interval
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 11:58:57 -0800

On 2019-12-28 08:15, Pádraig Brady wrote:
Often TIME_STYLE is configured in an env var,
so we'd probably have to have a separate var to
config that, which isn't ideal.

I wonder could we auto set the "recent" limit
based on the resolution of the format provided?
I.E. If you specify %a, use a week as the recent threshold?

Thanks.  I think that could work, though it would probably surprise people.

This led me to thinking, what about another parameter to the time-style param? Looks like it is currently newline delimited. Perhaps a third line could hold a time threshold? A bit odd (due to delimiter) but compact in terms of variables and backwards compatible.

-Mike