coreutils

Re: mv w/mkdir -p of destination

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: Re: mv w/mkdir -p of destination
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2020 23:38:34 +0200

On 2020-05-11 05:16, Vito Caputo wrote:
> Does this already exist?
>
> Was just moving a .tgz into a deep path and realized I hadn't created
> it on that host, and lamented not knowing what convenient flag I could
> toss on the end of the typed command to make `mv` do the mkdir -p
> first for me.
>
> I was surprised to not see it in mv --help or mv(1) when I checked for
> next time...

mv(1) is ... well, for moving files and directories.  And creating the
destination
directory in the same go seems to be a seldom case.  We see also from the
missing
answers so far, that nobody seems to be much excited about this feature.
Anyway, as it's very easy to work around it with a separate mkdir(1), it's
better
to avoid adding complexity to the code.

Have a nice day,
Berny