coreutils

Terminal recycle bin.

From: Rob Brew
Subject: Terminal recycle bin.
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:53:57 +0100

Dear Sir / Madam.

I hope you are well.

I wrote a script in bash to backup files before moving, copying or deleting them, it's at https://gitlab.com/rydal1/save-my-bacon.

I  wondered if this could become part of the core cp, mv and rm commands?

As explained it backs up files before deleting them or overwriting them to a /recycled directory.

On deleting more than 1Gb of data (or as set by root) it asks the user if they want to continue to delete said files.

It doesn't get invoked on deleting from /recycled and can be bypassed with "-z".

It can also be applied to rsync, scp and ln).

I have a friend who knows C (I don't) who can submit a pull request if you're interested.

Thanks,

      Rob Brew.

        https://likeme.mx/rydalinc <- digital business card.